Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Writing Challenge for the Rest of Us-- A Round of Words in 80 Days

WOW!! THIS is the kind of writing challenge I can do! I'm so excited, I'm beside myself. Finally, a writing challenge that doesn't ask me to give up my life for a specified period of time. Really, NaNoWriMo is, for me, a setup for failure. I can't write that much, nor do I want to. Not to mention that November is a special month here in my home with two birthdays, one holiday, and I'm organized enough to be wrapping up my holiday shopping.
So, I'm in. I'll be linking my blog and starting on Round One in January through March. (Yes, that reasonable a time frame.)
Here's a copy of what she proposes:
Here's what I propose:
  • A challenge that happens 4 times a year with a break between sessions.
  • Round 1 starts January 3, 2011 (because I like starting things on Monday and this way everyone can recover from New Year's excesses) and runs through March 24th.  (Round 2 would start April 4, Round 3 July 4–okay maybe rethink that–, Round 4 Oct 3–you get the idea).
  • You have 80 days for your Round of Words
  • Your goal can be anything you like as long as it is MEASURABLE. If you're already in the middle of a WIP, that's fine.  Tailor your goal to suit that.  You may even want to set mini goals (I want to finish the last 40k of this novel.  Then I want to spend the last 20 days revising it at x pages a day.).  There are a lot of elements to writing a book other than the writing itself.  Plotting.  Outlining.  Character Interviews.  Whatever.  Set your goal to match wherever you are right now on your WIP.  If you want to use your Round for editing a novel, that's fine too.  Just know that this is, at heart, a writing challenge, so all the weekly inspirational posts will be geared in that direction.
  • There's no mandatory daily word count. Every writer is different, everyone has different schedules.  You set a goal that works for you.  Find a way to make writing a priority in your life in a way that FITS.  But set SOME kind of schedule and be CONSISTENT.
  • Once Sign-Ups are open, you'll make a blog post stating your measurable goal and swing by here to link to it in the Linky Tools list. If your goal changes because you've met it before the 80 days is up, just write a new one and link to it on a check in day.
  • There will be twice a week check-ins on Sunday and Wednesday where you'll update us via the same method. The idea here is that folks can travel around to everybody's blogs and drop a supportive comment.  We're contemplating dividing into teams under each of the sponsors so that everyone has a manageable list of folks to visit once a week.
  • On Twitter we'll use a hashtag of #ROW80 so everyone can follow discussions (though if you're not on Twitter, that's totally fine too).
I don't know about Linky, but I'm trying it.

Lena Austin
http://www.lenaaustin.com/
http://depravedduchess.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Welcome to my Blog!

Thanks for popping by! Don't sit on the whipping horse unless you want to find out how it's used. I speak my mind and annoy many people, but all of it is meant in good spirit. Feel free to argue with me. I like it.

Best way to reach me is by email: voiceomt2002@yahoo.com

Lena