Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What I'm Learning from Drag Queens

I watched RuPaul's Drag U on Logo last night. I find I'm surprised to feel challenged by the professors, especially Raven. Raven and the other profs made me realize that drag queens have studied femininity objectively and know it like someone like me who lives it doesn't. They do deliberately what I do unthinkingly, and consequently they do it better. Wow!

So, this morning I got up and thought, "What would a drag queen do?" Shower, shampoo, shave, deoderant...yeah, we all have to do those things. It's what goes beyond those basic things that matter. Drag queens must go the extra mile, or they'd be just a guy in a dress. Attention to detail to get the feminine look was the first order of business. I'd already laid out a pair of jeans and a pink camisole. I thought those might be feminine enough, if the DQ was going to stay at home, as I was. However, she'd still put on her face and her jewels, all the way to the shoes.

So I did. I put on my face and went the extra mile. I lined my lips, put on mascara, spiked my hair, and even chose my jeweled pink sandals that matched. I put my pink pearls around my neck and my matching pink pear bracelet on my arm. I was going to be fiercely feminine today!

Surprisingly, I felt fiercer and sexier. I felt like I could take on the world! Drag U has another freshman in the classroom, and I won't miss an episode! Well, just in case I do, I can watch them at logotv.com and make sure I don't skip a class.

My picture from the Dragulator:

1 comment:

Lee Plumb said...

I'm getting all sorts of comments in my Yahoo Group. Here's an update:

Funny thing happened. I had compliments and surprised respect even from my family all day yesterday. Familiarity breeds contempt, and to impress them means twice as much.


Today, a gentleman flagged me at a stoplight just to tell me my tire was going a little flat and made sure to point out there was a gas station just up the road so I could get air. I got a gleaming smile and a wink. Wow, does going that extra mile with the makeup and 'tude mean that much? Well, dayum!


I haven't had this much respect since I hung up my flogger and retired.

Welcome to my Blog!

Thanks for popping by! Don't sit on the whipping horse unless you want to find out how it's used. I speak my mind and annoy many people, but all of it is meant in good spirit. Feel free to argue with me. I like it.

Best way to reach me is by email: voiceomt2002@yahoo.com

Lena