Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Amazing Savings Using Vinegar

In light of the harsh economic times and the fad of going green, I decided to take another look at the many uses of common household products like vinegar and baking soda instead of harsh and expensive chemicals.

This article gives a lovely overview of vinegar:
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/amazing-vinegar-house.html

I've done the vinegar soak for my hand-held shower head, and the results of its overnight soak in a bucket of vinegar and water were amazing!

I'd forgotten some of the uses, such as the vinegar solution for pet stains. However, you've never had a shinier sink until you scrub with baking soda and a wet sponge, rinse, and then shine up with vinegar! Talk about scrubbing bubbles if you missed a spot in the rinse. LOL!

I've even used vinegar as a hair rinse when I'm preparing for chemical services, like hair coloring. The vinegar breaks down any hard water deposits and chlorine from my hair.

Speaking of the bathroom, I stopped paying for expensive exfoliating scrubs. Baking soda and water is not only safer for my skin and the environment, but afterwards, I can add vinegar to the drain to keep my pipes clear. The bubbling action between the baking soda and vinegar is great.

Here in Florida, insects can be a real problem, especially mosquitoes. I spray vinegar on myself, and not only is it refreshingly cool as it evaporates, but mosquitoes find the "taste" of vinegar repulsive and are less likely to bite.

Replacing liquid fabric softener with vinegar works, too. I've done it. 3/4 of a cup in your fabric softener dispenser does the job. For my dispenser, I put in the vinegar, then fill the rest with water. I haven't used dryer sheets since I discovered this method. What's more, I have less soap residue on my clothes and they look brighter! It also removes cigarette odor from clothing. My nose thanks vinegar for that alone when I go green further and hang clothes out on the line instead of using the dryer.

Best use for baking soda-- relieving acid indigestion. My DH is prone to indigestion. Until I had my LapBand, I suffered from acid reflux. The inexpensive solution as opposed to often ineffective tablets? Baking soda in water, aka old-fashioned sodium bicarbonate. Guess our grandparents were pretty darn smart. Just follow the directions on the box. Gag it down --yes, I know, it's not pleasant-- and within half an hour the soda and the excess acid in your stomach will neutralize each other with a loud burp! (You know, acid plus alkaline...didn't everyone take science in high school?) Unless you take the soda with you, you'll be home and can burp loudly. What? You'd rather be in pain?

Ever brushed your teeth with a baking soda paste? Try it sometime. Yes, it whitens your teeth, too. You're paying how much to have the dentist do this?

More uses for vinegar here: http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vinegar/
Ten uses for baking soda here: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/10-new-uses-for-baking-soda-10000001030037/index.html (I didn't know about the deoderant!)

Arm and Hammer had this great idea for the sneakers, but I'm doing it for those smelly work boots! Steel toe boot reek! I wouldn't mind making these and changing out the baking soda once a month, just to get rid of the stench. Bet it would work for gym bags, too.


Sneaker Peekers
This fun craft does double duty. Kids will have a blast decorating these zany creatures – and then the ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda will go to work deodorizing those smelly sneakers!

What You Need:
1 new, white athletic sock (mid-calf size)
1 cup ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda
1 rubber band
6" ribbon or stringfelt, markers, buttons, and glue for decorating!

How to Make it:

1. Lay newspaper down on your work surface.
2. Fill the sock with 1 cup ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda.
3. Secure with rubber band.
4. Tie ribbon around rubber band, cut off extra sock (cuff area).
5. Decorate! Use Felt, Markers, Buttons, Sequins, etc. to make your Sneaker Peeker an animal, a monster, a flower! Anything goes!
6. Stick them in your sneakers overnight for fresh shoes in the morning!

Remember the importance of adult supervision, especially with young children.

No comments:

Welcome to my Blog!

Thanks for popping by! Don't sit on the whipping horse unless you want to find out how it's used. I speak my mind and annoy many people, but all of it is meant in good spirit. Feel free to argue with me. I like it.

Best way to reach me is by email: voiceomt2002@yahoo.com

Lena