Yield 6 servings.
1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 jar (16 oz) mild salsa
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 oz each)
Optional garnishes (highly recommended)
Sweet red and yellow pepper strips
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced green onions
1. In a 4-qt slow cooker, layer chicken in the bottom, then the corn, beans, and salsa.
2. Cover and cook on Low 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
3. Shred the chicken with a fork, or stir with a spoon until chicken comes apart. If you removed the chicken, return it to the crock to rewarm while you prepare the garnishes and make the rice, if necessary.
4. Set the garnishes out in their own bowls.
5. To serve, place rice in a bowl. Ladle the Southwest Chicken over the rice, and garnish as desired.
Capsicum ratio is very low. You may wish to add hot sauce, jalapenos, or use a spicier salsa.
Note from Lena-- I used chicken thighs, stirred, and removed the bones. Good eats at half the cost!